Thursday, February 13, 2014

Do I Need this Thing? 1 Minute Test - Step 1 on the Road to More Efficient Living

Wants vs. Needs is one of the most disputed aspects of American financial culture. We are talking about things here, materials one can posses, own, pine over, etc.

Per Webster's Dictionary a need is something that a person must have : something that is needed in order to live or succeed or be happy.

This standard definition leaves way too much gray area, so I am going to give you a very simple exercise to determine if items in your house needs or if you can sell them on Craigslist or donate them to Goodwill or friends.

Steps to Determine a Need:
  1. Did I use this item today? If so why or why not ( be specific,this item is used for x because y)
  2. Have I used this item in the last week, month, year?
  3. Is this item connected to another item I actually don't use or have anymore (i.e. - case for Palm Pilot from 1997)
  4.  If this is a seasonal/emergency use item, is it really necessary (10 Christmas snow globe baubles when 5 would suffice). The goal is no baubles, but baby steps here. 
  5.  Do I know someone who needs this more than me?
There is the initial look over. I call this the questioning why I have all this clutter anyways stage.

Up next we will discuss How to Get the Stuff Out of you Face via Goodwill and Craigslist!

Hang tight and come back for the next adventure in Simplicity!

No comments:

Post a Comment