Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Proverbs Reflection Chapter 26: Liar, Liar Pants on Fire!

Proverbs 26:18-19

18 Like a crazed archer
scattering firebrands and deadly arrows,

19 Such are those who deceive their neighbor,
and then say, “I was only joking.”

This must be where the kids phrase originates. I wouldn't have thought it went back so far, but there you have it.

My wife has been my primary teacher in the lesson of truth tell and letting yes mean yes and no mean no. She thinks much and says little and she means what she says. I tend to think much and talk more, enjoying jests, jokes, debates and heated discussion. I have had to learn to tone down my fish stories and hyperbole simply because it makes a pretty bad impression, especially in public. It can and often times has made me look like a fool, eating my words.

I do not tend to set out to purposefully deceive others, but need to reign it in when it comes in conversation and cannot expect everyone to "know my personality" and ignore some of the crazy offhanded things that I say.

It is far better for me to say just a little bit less, be more peaceable and agreeable and don't waste my breathe on things not worth my time.

Say 5 fewer complaints,jeers, jest and offhanded comments today. You won't regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment